A renowned leader in the printing and packaging industry, our client is celebrated for their unwavering commitment to excellence and continuous innovation. The company cultivates a collaborative and growth-driven work atmosphere and is actively seeking a dedicated SQF Practitioner to join their ranks.
The SQF Practitioner is responsible for overseeing the development, implementation, review, and maintenance of the Safe Quality Food (SQF) System within the food industry and packaging sector. With 4-5 years of experience in the food industry or packaging industry and relevant training, the SQF Practitioner ensures compliance with regulatory standards, drives continuous improvement and maintains a strong focus on quality assurance and food safety. The role involves leading multiple teams, conducting audits, implementing corrective actions, and establishing a new department or function if required.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Develop, implement, review, and maintain the SQF System, including food safety fundamentals and the food safety plan, in accordance with regulatory requirements and industry best practices.
- Take appropriate action to ensure the integrity of the SQF System, identifying and addressing any gaps or non-compliance issues promptly.
- Communicate all essential information related to the SQF System effectively to relevant personnel, ensuring proper understanding and implementation.
- Serve as the Recall Team Leader, working closely with Quality Control/Quality Assurance (QC/QA) and liaising with regulatory authorities in the event of product recalls or safety concerns.
- Act as a member of the Business Continuity Planning Team, contributing to the development and execution of plans to ensure uninterrupted operations during crises or emergencies.
- Assume responsibility for regulatory matters concerning quality and food safety, staying updated on relevant regulations, and ensuring compliance.
- Provide leadership in developing and fostering a strong food safety culture throughout the organization, promoting awareness and adherence to food safety principles among all staff members.
- Serve as the Food Security Team Leader, overseeing security measures to protect against food adulteration or tampering.
- Review and approve SQF procedures, policies, HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point), and food safety plans, ensuring they meet regulatory requirements and industry standards.
- Validate HACCP and Food Safety Plans, ensuring their effectiveness in controlling food safety hazards.
- Oversee internal audits to assess the compliance of processes, procedures, and documentation with SQF standards.
- Manage customer complaints related to food safety issues, investigating and implementing corrective actions as necessary.
- Lead the Management Reviews and SQF Updates, coordinating the evaluation and improvement of the SQF System's effectiveness.
- Conduct annual reviews of the HACCP Plan, Food Safety Plan, Food Fraud Vulnerability and Mitigation Plan, identifying areas for enhancement and ensuring ongoing compliance.
- Take charge of Corrective Actions and Preventive Actions (CAPA), Traceability, and Product and Equipment Hold Programs, ensuring effective implementation and resolution of identified issues.
- Participate in the New Product Development process, providing guidance on food safety requirements and overseeing the implementation of relevant protocols.
- Oversee the training of service providers and contractors, ensuring they adhere to food safety standards and requirements.
- Manage the Vendor Management Files, maintaining records for foreign and domestic suppliers, assessing their compliance with food safety regulations and specifications.
- Maintain product specifications, ensuring accuracy and alignment with regulatory standards and customer requirements.
- Ensure compliance with Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) across all relevant processes and departments, fostering a culture of adherence to established protocols.
- Participate in and facilitate audits, both internal and external, to assess the effectiveness of the SQF System and identify areas for improvement or corrective actions.
- Coordinate and oversee lab testing activities, ensuring accurate and timely analysis of samples to verify product quality and safety.
- Carry out various quality duties, including conducting inspections, monitoring product quality parameters, and implementing quality control measures to maintain high standards.
- Drive continuous improvement initiatives, collaborating with cross-functional teams to identify opportunities, implement best practices, and optimize processes throughout the organization.
- Ensure that all internal and external corrective action requests are satisfactorily completed within the designated time frame.
- Responsible for maintaining the Quality System and SQF code in the plant.
- Work closely with Operations Management & Staff to promote and drive a strong Food Safety Culture.
- Reports to the Manager/Supervisor, any QC issues or barriers encountered in the accomplishments of all duties.
- Addresses all QC issues and works with all respected departments to resolve and report back to the customer service team.
- When there is a product deviation, responsible for reporting and recommending corrective actions and preventative measures based on root cause analysis to implement compliance;
- Monitor quality, accuracy, and timeliness of all orders to ensure customer commitments are met through production of high-quality material that meets customer delivery expectations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 2-3 years of experience in the food industry or packaging industry, demonstrating a comprehensive understanding of industry-specific requirements and practices.
- An educational degree in one or more of the following: Bachelor's Degree in Food Science, Packaging Engineering, Quality Assurance or Quality Management, Industrial Engineering, Business and/or Management.
- Experience in conducting and participating in audits, including internal, third-party, and regulatory audits, to ensure compliance with standards and identify areas for improvement.
- Familiarity with lab testing procedures, including drainage testing, to verify product quality and safety, and identify potential hazards.
- Proficiency in quality duties, such as monitoring product quality, performing inspections, and implementing quality control measures, to maintain high standards throughout the organization.
- Knowledge and experience in driving continuous improvement initiatives, utilizing methodologies like Lean Six Sigma, to optimize processes, reduce waste, and enhance overall efficiency.
- Ability to develop and implement Corrective Action items to address non-conformities, deviations, and customer complaints, ensuring effective resolution and prevention of recurrence.
- Experience in establishing and leading a new department or function within the food industry or packaging sector, with the ability to build infrastructure, define roles, and align processes with standards and requirements.
- Intensive computer work and extended use of the computer keyboard and mouse.
- Sitting for prolonged periods of time – up to 8 hours per day.
- Role will be primary onsite. Note that in office and/or working remotely is required at the sole discretion of the company.
- Occasional lifting of objects up to 25 lbs.
- Work area may have fluorescent lighting and air conditioning.
- Noise level is usually moderate to loud.
- Exposure to ink and chemical fumes, and airborne particles such as paper dust and drying powder.
- Appearance at all times must represent the company image.
- Fast-paced environment: subject to numerous schedule and priority changes and short notice activity.
- Occasional additional hours may be required due to operational requirements.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed. You will be expected to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested by your supervisor.